Monday, February 18, 2008

I can not count the number of times that I have searched for information and not considered the source. This was the case especially in my early years of college. As time went by and I learned more about the internet I began to look for certain things in the URL like .edu. I thought that this made my site credible, but that is not always the case. For example, in November’s article “Teaching Zak to Think” the website URL has .edu in it. As a result from doing the MAPit activity I have learned how to dissect the URL piece by piece. Looking for the tilde symbol and people’s names in the URL are a sure sign that the website is a personal website and not an educational website. I also learned how to check altavista.com and see who is linked to the URL and the history of the URL. I am posting these easy hints in my library for students to use in the future when they use the Internet for research.

No comments: